Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tyler Farr "Redneck Crazy" Single Review


     Newcomer Tyler Farr has been making a splash on radio lately with his new single "Redneck Crazy".  Just looking at the title, you'd expect another party-in-the-barn type song about being country with recycled lyrics.  This song digs a little deeper than that however.  But, is it a heartfelt love song, or just another rehash of the same themes?


     Yes.  This song certainly has some meat to it, but it still has some of the same old same old to hold it back as well.  I am still pleasantly surprised by it, however.  The title suggests, as I stated before, a wild party song.  Lord knows we do not need another one of those.  Instead, "Redneck Crazy" decides to focus on a love gone wrong, and a girl who drives the man "redneck crazy" as he puts it.  That's a different spin then I was expecting, much like Lee Brice's "I Drive Your Truck".  But while Lee's was a masterpiece ,this falls a little short of that mark.  I wouldn't call it a bad song though.

     The song opens up with some truck and Hank references, because this is a country single in 2013, and if it doesn't say Hank or truck, it doesn't count.  It grows from there into a much more well written song with some real emotion behind it, even if the start is rocky.  The music is reminiscent of late 90's country, its loud, but a little more pure than today's rock and roll country.  The melody in the chorus has a distinctively country feel to it, and its easy to sing along to.  Tyler Farr has a pretty solid voice as well.  He sounds a lot like Lee Brice actually, but with more grit.  I could see Tyler really tearing up an acoustic tear-jerker if he really got a hold of it.  These elements make for a very likable song, even if it rubbed me wrong at the opening.

     The video is interesting to say the least.  Tyler follows in Darius Rucker's shoes to nab some of the Duck Dynasty cash cow.  Tyler, Willie from Duck Dynsasty, Lee Brice (him again!), and Colt Ford star in a redneck dream video.  Four wheelers, duck calls, camo, and a giant beer-belly shot courtesy of Colt Ford.  It is entertaining, but I am so against this portrayal of all country folk as camo-wearing, truck driving 'mericans. It is an overdone concept, and while it is entertaining, I think it takes away from the song a little.

     Overall, I give this song a solid B.  It is catchy, likable, and country.  It has emotion, and focuses on heartache rather than bragging and partying.  However, it has some cliches that keep it from being a solid A. That's ok though, not every song is an award winner.  I like it, I think you will too.  Hopefully Tyler can build on this and dig a little deeper next time, he has the chops.  Check out the video and let me know what you think!




2 comments:

  1. If Tyler's upcoming album is as good as "Redneck Crazy," then it'll be a pretty darn good album. I've already pre-ordered a copy and I definitely recommend doing the same! http://smarturl.it/itunesredneckcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Tyler's upcoming album is as good as "Redneck Crazy," then it'll be a pretty darn good album. I've already pre-ordered a copy and I definitely recommend doing the same! http://smarturl.it/itunesredneckcrazy

    ReplyDelete